16 July 2009

Bad Boys 2


Ah where to begin? the start probably. The star of the recent blaxploitation revival, the film that makes us all wish we were a bit darker/cooler, you decide which (both I know, I feel you).
The start of the story sees a meeting of the notorious Ku Klux Klan, !FACT!- In a recent interview star Will Smith admitted this scene is kind've a "Fuck ya'll" to the would be critics of the first Bad Boys film, This is portrayed as Will Smith and Martin Lawrence kill all the racists in the vicinity in the opening scenes, the racists being figurative of the critics who said African-American people cant do action!.. powerful stuff I think you'll agree.
Throughout this film you are bombarded with imagery showing the average lifestyle of an African-American male; guns, girls, cars and sun. At first all these scenes seem pointless and all in the name of harmless fun, till you look a little closer at the credits. The film was commisioned by M.O.C.H.A (Men Of Colour Harnessing America) and it shows, with blatant advertising in the form of glamourising the 'African-American lifestyle' and with the intended outcome of eventually leading you to one of their 'services'... cheap 'corrective' skin darkening surgery, offered in return for promotional work for M.O.C.H.A, where you will play a villain and be shot or run over in the next Will Smith vehicle.
Anyway I digress, Bad Boys 2 doesn't discriminate, they kill someone from every corner of the world, leaving (me anyway) us feeling we are part of something historical, and in my case a bit confused about whether I'm gay or if I just want simply to bear Will Smith's next genetically superior child... Oh and Zero nudity by the way, I was shocked. Unless you count the very dead topless woman in the morgue, I do, I don't agree that every hole needs a soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment